HolyCoast: A Sickening Crunch
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Friday, December 18, 2009

A Sickening Crunch

We took the girl over to the Irvine Spectrum for a little shopping tonight, and due to the crowds had to park way out on the edge of the lot near the I-5 freeway. We'd just gotten out of the car when we heard a screech and a loud impact followed by a couple of smaller ones. Someone on the freeway just had a very bad day.

I called 911 from my cellphone even though I couldn't see the wreck. The sound was unmistakable and I could see other drivers jumping on the brakes as they approached the area. I'm not sure the dispatcher really believed me when I told them I'd heard an accident on the freeway.

I didn't stay around to see the response from the CHP and fire, but later looked the incident up on the CHP website. Sure enough - injury accident with a car into the guardrail on the right shoulder.

I hope they're okay. That was the loudest hit I'd ever heard, and it was still loud even over all the freeway noise.

No comments: