HolyCoast: Gay Activists: Religion is The Problem
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Friday, January 22, 2010

Gay Activists: Religion is The Problem

That's basically the legal philosophy of the plaintiffs in the court case over Proposition 8 that's been underway for the last couple of weeks. I've been getting regular updates from the Prop 8 folks and I thought I'd pass this one along:
Over the last couple of days, we have been treated by the plaintiffs to astonishing intrusions into areas supposedly protected by the First Amendment, including religious freedoms and the political rights of free speech and association.

It started Wednesday when a Stanford political science professor testified that, in his opinion, organized religion in the United States is such an overwhelming threat to gays and lesbians that they should be declared a vulnerable “minority” entitled to extraordinary legal protections under the US Constitution. In short, he concluded, “religion is the problem.”

As a result of this “problem,” the witness testified, gays and lesbians in the United States are “politically powerless,” a legal term of art meaning that they are at such a disadvantage so as to be incapable of defending themselves in the political process. Of course, the notion that the gay and lesbian community is politically feeble should sound backward to anyone, especially living in California. Common knowledge tells us that gays and lesbians wield substantial political power in our state, both in passing major gay rights legislation and in amassing opposition to Prop 8. Just one example: While the California Teachers Association and other labor unions gave millions to the No on 8 campaign, not a single labor union ever contributed to the Yes on 8 campaign.

Of particular concern to the witness was the “breathtaking” numbers of people who volunteered their time in the campaign to help carry Prop 8 to victory. The volunteer effort was so strong, he said, that it was impossible for gays and lesbians to defeat Prop 8. And so Prop 8 violates the U.S. Constitution. Really? So let me get this straight. If you lose a campaign because you can’t persuade the majority of people to rally behind you, then you have a constitutional right to nullify the votes of the majority. Hmm.

It boggles the mind, truly.

Later Wednesday, lawyers for the plaintiffs started submitting evidence of the “improper” influence of Catholics, Baptists, and other major religious communities in support of the traditional definition of marriage. As though the First Amendment itself had disappeared, the court allowed their lawyers-over the strenuous objections of our legal defense team-to pry into the internal records of churches, communications between church members and church leaders, and other similar documents revealing these religious organizations’ commitment to protecting traditional marriage.

For anyone who values the right to associate with others in a church community and freely exercise the tenants of their faith without fear of being dragged into court because of their beliefs, yesterday afternoon’s blitzkrieg by the plaintiffs into our previously protected religious and political freedoms was terrifying to behold.

Then Thursday, for the first time (we believe) ever in a court of law, a proponent of a voter initiative was put on the stand to be interrogated under oath about his own political, moral and religious views. Not only was the Prop 8 supporter forced to reveal his political and religious views under penalty of perjury, but he was further forced to defend and substantiate his views so the court can decide whether his views are “improper.”

Clearly the plaintiffs will go to any lengths-even if it means sacrificing the precious protections of the First Amendment-to achieve their goal of invalidating the vote of the people.

Once again the courts are being asked to overturn the will of the people, and apparently any legal tactic that might convince a judge is good enough for them. Lying is an acceptable tactic given that the notion that gays are powerless in California is so easily proven false. The new Assembly Speaker is openly gay.

I still think the Prop. 8 forces will prevail, but they are not only fighting specious legal theories, but a judge who clearly sides with the anti-Prop 8 activists. They'll have to overcome his opposition along with presenting a solid legal defense.

2 comments:

Mark said...

I feel there is nothing concern for gays regarding religion. Both are different issues

Anonymous said...

Rick,
This is one topic that just grieves me to the bone. I don't know how to even express it in words. I've tried many times & always failed. People just don't understand how deceived this nation --- this world --- has become, & it's only getting worse.

I have two cousins who live homosexually & three friends who do. (All are male, incidentally.) I used to worship every week with two of those friends...sometimes more often than once. Now, one believes God *called* him to be homosexual & to shine a different kind of light into the homosexual community. He believes he is to be both a Christian & homosexual. As of our last communication, he was living with his partner. (He thought I "knew," but I didn't. He thought I knew & was fine with it. I was honest-but-gentle with him about how his lifestyle made me feel. He became a very different person, then.) I've just recently reconnected with the other friend, & the only details I have are that he & his partner actually went to Vermont so they could get "married." I don't have what my cousin calls "gay-dar" *rolls eyes way back in head* thank God, so I was floored by both revelations. I was not as surprised by the other. The first friend I worshiped with cut off all contact with me. I'm afraid to express myself on certain matters on Facebook now, b/c of the second. A perfect example is the way I would like to share this blog entry on FB. I can only imagine how it will make him feel. He's not flamboyant about things, but he does comment about things such as Prop 8 in other states. My other friend knows how I feel & respects that. I don't know what to do. Everyone says, "be yourself!" Not so easy anymore.

Interestingly enough, the friend who is fine with me not agreeing with homosexuality is the only one who is not a Christian. The two who understand eternity are the tricky ones. Goes right along with your post, in a way.

Sorry this was so long! Thank you for the update. I don't even know how to get them.