HolyCoast: San Diego From On High
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Monday, February 08, 2010

San Diego From On High

Yesterday we took my wife's sister and brother-in-law down to San Diego to meet their cruise ship and while there we did a little sightseeing. We rode the elevator up to the 38th floor of the Hyatt Hotel right by Seaport Village and I shot a few photos from up there. The color is a little bit off because of shooting through the hotel's tinted windows, but you can still get a pretty good view from up there.

Looking west toward Coronado Island at the moorings where they park the aircraft carriers.
Here's a closer view of a carrier that's getting a major overhaul.
There was another carrier in port, but it's not going anywhere. It's the USS Midway, formerly a fleet carrier and now a tourist attraction. We toured that ship a few years ago.
Now looking east along the bayfront. That's Pacific Highway headed toward various luxury condos, Petco Park and the San Diego Trolley yard.
Taking a closer look between the buildings you can just make out part of Petco Park, the home of the San Diego Padres.
Many moons ago the bank I worked for loaned $20 million dollars to build what is now the Marriott Hotel (the two silver buildings on the left). Back then it was the Intercontinental, and the developer went bust along the way and the bank lost its investment. It was one of many problems that led to the failure of the institution. I still feel like I should own part of that place.

That's the Coronado Bay Bridge in the background.

2 comments:

jan said...

My son went to Petco last summer and sent us some cell phone pix. I know he had a great time there!

gregor said...

I lived in Coronado for a year or so, in a beautiful little Craftsman bungalow on Avenue D, just a few steps from the harbor. Every morning I could look out my kitchen window and see SD behind the rising sun. That was back in the early seventies and I was so very out of place out there. I hated to leave, I loved the place so, but the people were, for the most part, nuts. For a place where everyone was supposed to be so laid back, I think everyone had ADD+. No one ever sat still for a moment,they always had to be doing something, going somewhere, and in a hurry. All that beauty around them and it seemed like they never took the time to savor it.
Thanks for the pictures, brought back some great memories.