HolyCoast: Musicians Sue Crystal Cathedral for Back Payments
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Saturday, May 08, 2010

Musicians Sue Crystal Cathedral for Back Payments

UPDATE 10/18/10: Crystal Cathedral files for bankruptcy.

First it was the animal handlers and wardrobe people, now the musicians:
Several unpaid musicians who played for Sunday services at the Crystal Cathedral have filed complaints in small claims court in Orange County seeking payment for services provided – the latest vendors to take action against the financially troubled church.

A trumpet player who has performed for 30 years at the megachurch's "Glory of Christmas" pageant has also filed a claim saying he is owed about $3,450 for the 2009 pageant.

"I played every single show, showed up on time every single day," said trumpeter Larry Grossman. "I did my job exactly the way I was supposed to – as I had done it for the last 30 years. I just didn't anticipate any problems."

In addition, Gray Television Inc. filed a civil lawsuit in Orange County Superior Court seeking about $55,500 plus interest, attorneys and lawsuit expenses. According to the April 29 suit, the cathedral owes the television station money "for the reasonable value of the work, labor, advertising services and materials rendered."...

Many who are owed less than $10,000 or $5,000 said they were not invited to last month's meeting and knew of no other way to get paid other than file a small claims complaint.

Grossman said he "could not afford to sit back and do nothing."

"I did not want to file this claim," he said.

Don French, a keyboard player for the church services and the "Hour of Power" orchestra, said he was not happy to sue at all.

"I've never sued anyone in my life," he said. "And the first time I do, it's a church. I find it appalling myself."

But French, who is owed close to $3,800, said he believes it had to be done.

"What troubles me the most is the cathedral's attitude in not paying us," he said. "When we asked to be paid, we were either ignored or told to get out of the room."

French said one of the orchestra supervisors who went to talk to the church management asking that they pay the musicians got "yelled at" by an administrator.

Randy Gravett, a bass player for 17 years at the Cathedral, said the lawsuit was a last resort for him. The cathedral owes him about $700.

"If you don't do it, there is a very good chance that they will brush you under the carpet because we are the little guys here," he said. "It's not a lot of money, but I filed this claim on principle. When you hire someone, you pay them."

Bill Kilpatrick, a guitarist who is still waiting for a $1,155 check from the cathedral, said he loved being part of the "Hour of Power" orchestra for the last six years.

"But I'm a freelance musician, this is my livelihood," he said. "$1,155 may seem like small potatoes to many. But to me, that's a lot of money."
I know one of the complainants in this case. He has a studio and about ten years ago I did some session work for him when an artist he was producing wanted a quartet on a couple of his songs. These are pros, each and every one of them, and they count on the income from these gigs to make their living. I think they'll prevail in court, though enforcing the verdict might get tricky...and ugly.

UPDATE: Though many vendors are still owed millions by the Crystal Cathedral, these guys won their case and got paid.

No comments: