HolyCoast: I Knew If I Waited Long Enough Disneyland Would See It My Way
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Monday, January 23, 2012

I Knew If I Waited Long Enough Disneyland Would See It My Way

I've mentioned before that I was a Disneyland employee for a summer waaaaayyyy back in 1975, just after the earth cooled.  When I was there you had to have a military-short haircut with NO facial hair whatsoever (except for the mustaches on some of the night crew women).  In 2000 Disney loosened things up and allowed mustaches for the first time since the park opened in 1955.  Now, they've caught up with me:
First, they could grow a mustache, just like Walt Disney. Now, they can grow a little more facial hair but not quite enough to be like one of the Seven Dwarfs.

Disneyland announced that it's loosened up its dress code -- known as the "Disney Look" -- to now allow employees to grow more facial hair. Beginning Feb. 3, employees can show up for work with a beard or a goatee without worry, just as long as it's shorter than a quarter of an inch and not a soul patch (a patch of hair just below the bottom lip).

"Disney Look guidelines are periodically reviewed in relation to industry standards, as well as the unique environment of our theme parks and resorts," Betsy Sanchez, a Disneyland Resort spokeswoman, said in a statement.

"While we are careful to maintain our heritage and the integrity of our brand, a recent review of our guidelines led to a decision that an update was appropriate at this time."
I'm sure this is a reflection on the difficulties Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure has had in staffing both parks plus the various hotels and other services they operate in Anaheim.  Lots of people (like me) aren't interested in going clean-shaven just to work at Disneyland.  I've had my beard for 30 years and I wouldn't give it up for Mickey.

Now, if they'll just let me drive the train....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would you shave for Minnie OxO

Nightingale said...

Soul patch? Is that what they call it. Always looked so non-committal to me.