HolyCoast: Save Us, Mitch Daniels, You're Our Only Hope...
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Monday, January 23, 2012

Save Us, Mitch Daniels, You're Our Only Hope...

Bill Kristol fantasizes a scenario in which Mitch Daniels, while giving the GOP response to Obama's State of the Union speech tomorrow night, drops a bit of a bombshell on the GOP nomination race.  Here's how Kristol has Daniels wrapping up his remarks:
Which raises the question: Is the current crop of Republican presidential candidates up to denying President Obama a second term? And would any of them be up to the necessary remodeling of our nation if they were to win? Unfortunately, lots of my fellow Republicans have doubts on both scores. A recent poll found that 7 out of 10 Republicans across the nation would like more options to choose from for president.

The candidates for the Republican nomination are my friends. I like and admire them. But I must say I’ve increasingly come to share the doubt that any of them would be likely to win, or would be likely to govern successfully.

So I want to announce tonight that I am open to reconsidering my decision not to seek the presidency in 2012. I have not wanted to run, for family reasons among others. I have hoped someone else would prove up to the task. But my family and I have now decided that country must come first. I am considering joining the race.

But I need to know if you want me to run. I only want to enter the race if you, the people, think I should. So here’s what I propose: None of the candidates currently running has received more than a total of 300,000 votes in the three contests so far. So here’s a test of my viability: If in the next few days I receive more than 300,000 emails, at http://mymanmitch.com/, asking me to run—then I will take that as a sign that, despite my previous reluctance, I should enter the contest.

If I run, I will be a reluctant candidate, in the sense that I did not plan on seeking this position. But let me assure you of this: if I do run, I will not run a reluctant campaign. I will run full out. I will compete in those primaries where I can still get on the ballot, I will go all out to win at the convention where the nomination will likely be decided, and I will take the fight to President Obama in the fall. If I run, I will run to win—because this country deserves leadership that will fundamentally remodel our government and restore our nation.

Thank you, good night, and God Bless America.
It's not going to happen, but I'm sure there are some establishment Republicans that would love to see such a scenario.

1 comment:

Sam L. said...

Ain't nobody happy?

Mitt generates no enthusiasm, and seems to have the "GOP Establishment" on his side. Newt, just the opposite.

I'm thinking Newt has the better hand for all the parts of the country that are not impressed with the establishment.

YMMV.