HolyCoast: Steam on the Rails
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Steam on the Rails

UPDATE: A photo from the southbound run through Mission Viejo.
UPDATE 2: Here's the YouTube video of the two Mission Viejo run-bys.

A few weeks ago I visited Fullerton Railroad Days and one of the displays was the massive Santa Fe Steam Engine 3751, a Pioneer-type 4-8-4 locomotive that was in service from 1927 to 1953 and according to historical sites pulled the last steam powered train between Los Angeles and San Diego in 1953. While looking around for information on the train I found out that they were planning a special excursion trip between Los Angeles and San Diego that will be run tomorrow, June 1.

I would love to have gone on that train ride, but the pricing was a little steep. However, I happen to live right next to the mainline tracks that run from L.A. to San Diego, so the train will be going right by the house. I found a spot about a mile further down the tracks where I can probably get some good video footage of the beast at speed and I'm going to run over there in the morning and get some film. If I like what I get, I may try and catch it again on the return run in the afternoon.

According to this website the train is scheduled to leave Los Angeles at 7:45 am, will stop in Fullerton at 8:12 and in Irvine at 8:37. That means it should pass my camera position at about 8:45. They're planning to arrive in San Diego at 11:35.

The return trip leaves San Diego at 2:30 pm and should arrive in Irvine around 5:08. I may try another position further south where I might be able to get some "pacing" footage, running alongside the train as it heads north. I have a spot picked out with about a mile or so of straight road right next to the tracks. I'll see if I can pull that off. If I get some good footage, I'll put something up on YouTube.

No comments: