HolyCoast: The Iowa Caucus Results
Follow RickMoore on Twitter

Thursday, January 03, 2008

The Iowa Caucus Results

UPDATE (moved to top of post): Here's what Fox News is reporting at 7:35 pm PST with about 97% of the vote reported:
Obama 38; Edwards 30; Clinton 29
Huckabee 34; Romney 25; Thompson 13; McCain 13
That's the same order I thought they'd finish in, but I thought the GOP race would be close.

I think Obama will get a big lift from these results going into New Hampshire where he is basically tied with Clinton. He won't be tied come Tuesday. Hillary's support will crumble. After all the time she spent in the state, and sending Bubba around to campaign for her she still gets beat this bad, the aura of inevitibility is now officially gone.

Huckabee will get a big boost going into New Hampshire. He may not win there (McCain probably will), but he'll be well positioned for South Carolina. If Romney loses New Hampshire and South Carolina, he's done.

I saw Huckabee on Leno last night and he plays the populism card very well. I doubt he's a true conservative (based on his history in Arkansas and some of his campaign statements), but he will be an attractive candidate - though I think he'll have a tough time against somebody like Obama.

That popping sound you hear is Hugh Hewitt's head exploding.

UPDATE 2: I just listened to John Edwards' speech. To hear him tell it, America is a hellhole of poverty and sickness. Why would anyone vote for him?

Hillary Clinton's speech was at best an attempt to put a good face on a bad result. Much of the speech was still about her and how she's going all the way ...yadda...yadda...yadda. She had Bubba, Chelsea, Wesley Clark and Madeleine Albright standing behind her. Not a pretty sight.

Mike Huckabee's speech was completely opposite of the Dem's speeches. It was all positive. America is not a hellhole in the Republican world. I think voters will notice the difference.

UPDATE 3: Chris Dodd drops out of the campaign. Both of his supporters are sad. Joe Biden got 0.9% of the vote and has also abandoned the race. They couldn't find his supporter for a comment.

UPDATE 4: Some thoughts on the Iowa process. If you really want to see the difference between Democrats and Republicans, all you have to do is look at the Iowa caucus process (if not the speeches mentioned above). For the Republicans, all they had to do is show up and vote. It took a minimal amount of time and the voters were then free to go on with their productive lives. The Democrat process required people to show up, be assigned a number, stand in whatever corner applied to their candidate on the first ballot, and then if their person didn't get 15% they had to go stand in another corner. For many Democrats the process took over an hour. It's a picture of bureaucratic excess if there ever was one.

Which method do you prefer?

UPDATE 5: Jim Geraghty has some thoughts for all the candidates that are worth reading.
UPDATE 6: Drudge sums it up this way:


I'll be back with regular posting on Monday afternoon, though I'll try to post some updates from the Rockport Gospel Music Festival over the weekend by cellphone if nothing else.
==========================================================
(written earlier in the day) As I write this there's still about an hour to go before the Hawkeye Cauci gets going, and hopefully by the time the actual results come in I'll be able to update this post. However, the schedule of the Iowa and New Hampshire votes hits me at a bad time. I'm leaving about 9:45 tonight to head to LAX and catch a red-eye flight to Texas for the annual Rockport Gospel Music Festival appearance. I won't be back until late Monday afternoon which means I'll miss most of the postgame debate following Iowa, and much of the pregame debate preceding the vote in New Hampshire on Tuesday. That's tough on a political blogger.

If I can borrow a computer from somebody in Texas I'll try and catch up during the weekend. There just isn't time in the schedule for me to drag my laptop back there and try to stay on top of everything. I'm also hoping to post some occasional cellphone shots from the event in Texas. Otherwise, it will be a little quiet around here for a few days. Given that California is about to enjoy four days of rain and Texas is supposed to be 75 and dry, the weather timing is working out quite well.

I'll update this post with the Iowa results if they're known before I have to head out the door.

You can also find caucus results here: Democrats, Republicans

No comments: